There is a trend in the health/weight loss industry which is called “starting a diet/program/weight loss system, but not finishing!”. Usually, people don’t finish what they start because they set unrealistic goals for a specific amount of time! Follow this list to achieve weight loss success!
Here are 10 things to remember when starting any weight loss endeavour:
1. Make small lifestyle changes at a time
Don’t try and change your entire lifestyle in 7 days, or even 30 days for that matter. You’ve been developing your current habits your whole life. They won’t be broken over night, so be patient. When you make smaller changes at a time, you increase your chances of completing any program you start.
- Example: If you are a person who eats a lot of sweets (sugars), replace your sweet cravings one at a time. Replace them with good sugar like those found in fruits. Remember one craving at a time!
2. Increase your water intake
Water is a natural appetite suppressant, so drink plenty of it! The minimum every adult should be drinking is 64 ounces per day. Recent studies have shown that we should try and drink at least half our body weight! However, start with the 64 ounces. It’s possible!
- The average American drink 5 cups of coffee per day. 5 cups! That’s 40 ounces of coffee!
- Just like I stated above, make small changes. If you aren’t a water drinker you are probably not going to go from drinking no water to drinking 64 ounces everyday in a week. So again, make small changes at a time. Start off drinking 1-2 8 ounce cups before the close of your work day. Thats only 16 ounces in a 8 hour period!
- Gradually increase as you and your body are ready. Try drinking a glass of water with you dinner before you drink juice or soda.
3. Find a 30-Day meal plan & shopping list
Most often times nutritionists, doctors and other wellness professionals will have sample meal plans and a grocery list located somewhere on their website. Don’t think you have to start one from scratch. Use the internet as a resource when you are first starting out! Let the professionals do the work for you, and you focus on staying the course of weight loss success. I mean why not? They’ve already planned the meals and written out the grocery list. Doesn’t get any easier then that.
- Most 30 day meal plans will be based on a specific daily calorie intake. You may need to increase or decrease the amount of food based on your daily calorie needs.* A good meal plan and shopping list to help you get started can be found on www.50millionpounds.com. It was created by Dr. Ian Smith, he is most known for his role on Celebrity Fit Club.
4. Get an accountability partner
Yep, sometimes we need that extra push from a loved one or friend for a weight loss success! Unfortunately when choosing an accountability partner most people choose someone on the same fitness level as them! That’s a big mistake! You want to choose someone who is already proven. Someone who is beyond the phase you are in! Encouragement goes a long way so don’t be afraid to ask for it, or help when you need it.
5. Start a work out plan
Now that you’ve started making small changes in your eating habits and water intake, your body will begin being able to handle physical demands of a work out! So now is the time to start! Again, don’t go at it alone! If you can’t afford a trainer/gym membership this is when you can call on your accountability partner to help! Also, use the internet as a resource! The safest way to begin an at-home work out is to purchase a work out video. These are professionals who know the art of working out as well as the mechanics of the human body. Let them teach you while you focus on your weight loss success!
- Just because a work out plan promises results in 30 days doesn’t mean you will have results in 30 days. Keep in mind everyone’s body is different.
- If you haven’t worked out in a while or have never worked out, advance through the dvd slowly. So what if its a “Get Ripped in 4 Weeks” program, you have to assess your own ftiness level. Don’t be afraid to take it slow! You may just need to “Get Ripped in 12 Weeks” instead of 4! Again, we are making small changes over time.
- Always seek the advice of your medical doctor before you start any work out program!
6. Create a fitness dream/goal board
This is one of the most effective motivational things you can do for yourself. When you have the big picture up as a reminder, it’s less likely you’ll lose focus. So get to it! Remember, without a vision the people perish, but with a vision the people run!
7. Chart your progress in a journal on a notebook
This will keep you motivated as well! When you see progress, even little progress it helps to keep you on track. Be on the look out for motivation killers! Even while charting, don’t let small changes or no change stifle you, you will have times when nothing changes on the outside. Your body is very complex, even though there may seem to be no physical change, trust me, there is internal change taking place! So stay the course!
- Do weekly “Mirror Motivation Moments”: stand in the mirror and look at your body, talk to yourself out loud about the changes you see, and the changes you want to see. Start loving yourself again.
- Remind yourself just how capable you are of being in control of your body and your own health. After all, you are worth it!
8. Pick a realistic goal for a weight loss success!
Shows like “Biggest Loser” are awesome, I love them. However, they are completely unrealistic for the average American. Those folks are on a show, secluded in a house away from family, friends and most weight effecting temptations, surrounded by trainers and doctors. You are not! So don’t expect the same results! You don’t have a personal trainer, nutritionist, and all of Americans cheering you on!
9. Get on a nutritional supplement plan that will compliment your weight loss goals
Nutritional supplements are a great asset when beginning a work out/life style change. Look for products that will naturally aid in the weight loss process! Organic, herbal products that aren’t chemically altered or manufactured are what I strongly recommend! It’s also best if you get them in powder or liquid form. This allows faster absorption by the body without wasting any product.
- If you have questions about how to get on a supplement phlan or have any questions, I can help you. I advise you to seek the advice of a wellness professional such as a trainer or nutritionist so that they can help you maximize your weight loss.
10. Love yourself enough to live better
You’d be surprised how many people start a weight loss program to impress someone else! That’s almost a guarantee for failure! The person you are trying to impress can be here today and gone tomorrow. You have to do this for yourself! We spend way too much energy trying to impress people who don’t really like us!
Always keep these things in mind to have a weight loss success!
- Anything done in excess is not good for you. This includes sleeping, eating, drinking, and even working out!
- Don’t overload yourself! Take it easy when you need to. Love yourself enough to know when to push and when not to push!
- Be honest with yourself about your fitness level. If you can’t do it, then you can’t do it and don’t feel guilty! As you continue making changes and working out, your body will be able to handle a more intense work out. If you can do it… do it! No excuses! Focus on your weight loss success!