Sometimes we obese about our goals and waste energy on the stuff that doesn’t have the biggest impact.
I find this happening in my practice. Clients want to know: What’s my macro prescription? Can I eat tomato sauce? Can I have dairy, can I eat potatoes and bread? How many grams of carbs can I have? I want to tone my arms. I need to do more ab work to get a six-pack.
Is this stuff important? Yeah, but they aren’t the big-ticket items. Most of the time, worrying about this stuff is like mowing the lawn when your house is on fire. Unless you’re getting to go on stage for a photo shoot or a competition, I guarantee you can get you more results with less deprivation and a lot more fun!
Focus on strategic habits that will get you the best outcome possible
Emphasizing big ticket items will keep you on track because results will come faster. No longer will you be derailed from your plan for the lasted gadget, the new fad diet, or the next shiny thing around the corner.
The following simple, yet strategic goals are very powerful.
Improve your nutrition & body composition with 3 things:
- Have more protein. Typically we don’t have enough protein in our diets. Protein is like a magic pill. It helps to boost your metabolism because muscle needs more calories than fat. Plus muscle gives you that toned look you’re looking for. Protein will also help stabilize insulin levels. If your insulin levels are high (i.e. right after a meal) or low (i.e. just before your next meal) the body won’t burn fat. Protein regulates those levels. Sometimes the only diet change I have to recommend to my clients is more protein and like magic, body fat starts to drop.
- Choose higher quality carbohydrates. Swap out donuts, some bread, muffins, cereal for oatmeal, sweet potato, fruit, and rice.
- Eat fewer calories. Usually, but not always, we ingest too many calories. Most of my clients have an issue with eating too much junk food after dinner. I suggest that they make a healthy ice-cream with 3/4 cup 2% plain cottage cheese, 1/2 c of frozen raspberries, 1 tsp vanilla. Mix all ingredients in a blender and enjoy!
And I’ve found when you can execute the following 3 movements with good form and control, you’ll have the body you want:
- 3 unassisted chin-ups. Most of you will be able to do unassisted chin-ups over time. Start with jump chin-ups, then do assisted chin-ups with less and less assistance and finally finish with unassisted chin-ups. This is challenging and may take some time to achieve, but it’s fun getting there.
- 10 pushups from your toes. I would recommend not starting on your knees – the angle is just too different from actual pushups. Start with negative pushups, then inclined push-ups, slowly reduce the incline until you’re on the floor.
- Deadlift your body weight. Start with assisted single leg deadlifts, then unassisted single leg deadlifts, dumbbell deadlifts, and then start using a barbell, increasing weight gradually over time.
When you can do these 3 things, you’ll feel so empowered!
Of course, most of you won’t have the strength to do these movements right away, but there’s a lot of enjoyment working towards these goals. Track what you do week after week – you’ll get a lot of motivation from recording the progress.
Let go of minor details and enjoy this freedom! Clean up your eating a little bit and focus on performance goals and you’ll be feeling sexy and empowered in no time. Promise!
Enjoy the journey! Seeing progress and change week after week is extremely motivating.
Reach out if you need help getting there. I’d love to work you and help you become a stronger, leaner version of your current self. That’s what I do! That’s what I love!
I want you to succeed as much as you want to… (sometimes More)!
Coach Janet, Pn2
Contact me: email@example.com 613-282-5267 www.JanetSalazar.com