Top 10 tips for starting out at the gym:
- Go with a friend or hire a PT to help minimise gym anxiety and learn how to perform the exercises correctly.
- Wear something you are comfortable training in, you don’t need the latest or greatest gym wear but wearing something that makes you feel comfortable can help you feel more confident.
- You don’t need to buy supplements to start going to the gym and working out. A Coffee and a banana will do the job as a pre-workout snack.
- You can’t out-train a bad diet so clean it up, don’t go 0-100 real quick, and never leave the house because you are on a chicken and broccoli only diet after eating out and drinking every weekend. Just make better food choices!
- The same for training don’t go too hard too quickly and end up passing out or vomiting in the gym. Start slow and steady. If in doubt refer back to tip 1 and get a PT.
- Drink more water !!! Don’t be a dehydrated noodle, drink water before, during, and after a gym session.
- Don’t spend your precious earned money on fad diets, shakes, and weird accessories to help you “insert goal here” quicker. Most of these are marketing schemes to take your money.
- Eating less and doing bulk cardio won’t achieve your toned look, you will end up looking deflated and depleted.
- Eating protein and lifting weights won’t turn you into the hulk overnight, that toned look you are after is achieved by eating enough of the right things and strength training.
- Don’t expect results overnight, track your progress by taking pics as the scales are not an accurate representation of your hard work and results.
Good luck with your results! The best way to get the best results is to get a coach/ PT.