Hey You! I’ve got a question:
What do exercise and panadol have in common?
They are both forms of medicine!
Yes, you read that correctly! We all know that exercise can help you gain muscle and lose weight, but did you know it can help with more than that?
Exercise should be thought of as medicine! Exercise can improve the following:
- Mental Health (Anxiety, depression, PTSD)
- Sleep Quality. This can include falling asleep faster and helping you wake up faster in the morning!
- Exercise can improve Chronic Diseases ranging from neurological (MS and Stroke), cardiovascular (Heart attack), Metabolic (diabetes), Cancer (breast, prostate) to musculoskeletal (Knee and Shoulder reconstructions, Arthritis)
- Rehabilitation from injuries (Gait retraining, improving range of motion, strength, and function of your body)
- Preventing falls in the elderly through improving their balance and coordination
Improving your posture through strengthening your muscles and tendons and increased body awareness
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to benefits. So are you still shocked that exercise is considered to be a form of medicine?
Another key consideration when it comes to exercise is that there is a dose response
Do you brush your teeth once a week and think it will help keep your gums and teeth hygiene to the standard that it should be? I think not.
Exercise is no different! In fact, if we can make exercise a part of our day, every day we will see some fantastic results! This doesn’t mean crazy sessions that last for over an hour, it is simply movement:
- Go for a walk for 20-30 minutes
- Do some gentle stretches
- Weight train 3-4x per week
- Swim / Cycle / Box / Tah Chi / Yoga
All of these methods can help!
Ultimately, after reading this article the take away, the education point that I try to teach all of my clients that I work with is this:
Exercise should be a part of your life, for the rest of your life!
It makes your life easier, it will help you perform activities you want/need to do like playing with your children, putting the washing out, traveling, and remaining independent. Not to mention helping you gain valuable strength and improving your body composition.
If you are interested to know more about the numerous health benefits of exercise or want help with improving one of these areas specifically reach out! Book in with Move Right EP and one of our staff will help you achieve your goal!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.