Hello, I’m a trainer & I love carbs! Actually, I love donuts, cookies, pizza, sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, and more! I also love potatoes in every form – especially tator tots.
I’m also eating those foods while also losing weight on the scale! Isn’t that a crazy thought? You can eat your favorite foods and reach your fitness goals all at the same time!
Before I get too far into how I am able to balance eating my favorite foods and go through a body fat cut right now, I want you to know that I do have a dairy allergy & a gluten insensitivity. Dairy makes me feel really bloated like I have a rock in my stomach, & the whole digestive process is extremely uncomfortable. Sometimes I even find myself in bed because of the pain. Gluten makes my skin really itchy. I definitely enjoy gluten but in smaller amounts. Because of the way my body reacts to both dairy & gluten, I find that it is easier for me to want to eat “healthier.” Just keep that in mind as you read this because I am not perfect. But I do get sick when I do enjoy certain foods.
Have you heard of “intuitive eating” or “counting your macros?” Both of which it has taken me years to fully understand and get right for my body. Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. But if anything, I hope you learn that you can love yourself and lose weight simultaneously.
Intuitive eating is a “style of eating that promotes a healthy attitude towards food & body image.” Counting macros is being mindful of how many grams of carbs, proteins, and fats you are eating per day. I also keep an eye on my fiber.
The first part of my journey with healthy eating started with counting my macros. Flashback to when I was 18, I started only counting calories. There became a point where I was eating 800cals per day – I thought I looked great, but so many people were talking about how sick I looked. A trusted mentor came to be and started helping me learn to track the quality of my foods – macros. Slowly she started adjusting my macros, and before I knew it I was eating 1500cals per day! I fell in love with macros because I could adjust them, but not have to watch the calorie number. This was a huge step forward for my mental health!
Fast forward through all the yo-yoing, I have found what works best for me. Through it all, I have learned how to “balance life with health.” I say that because I have clients, and you probably know people, who feel like they can’t live their life and prioritize their health at the same time! & I think that’s crap!
- Consistency. Minimally, be consistent during the week. I choose from the same breakfast options every day. My favorite is egg, avocado toast with everything but the bagel seasoning from Trader Joes. But, unless I go to brunch, I still eat the same thing for breakfast on the weekends.
- Water. Drink your water, please!
- I try to have one big salad per day. I call it a big salad because I put more “stuff” on top then mixed greens! My everyday fillers include veggie slaw, black beans, sautéed peppers, and broccoli. Then I choose what I am in the mood for a hard-boiled egg, chicken, roasted red peppers, hummus, avocado, radish, or anything else! Also, my dressing is olive oil, ACV, & black pepper.
- I try to have one smoothie a day! I am more of a veggie person than a fruit person, so smoothies are tough. But my go-to is strawberry & banana – with almond milk or OJ, depending on when I am working out!
- If I want tator tots with my dinner (if you know me, tator tots are my favorite potato), I make them in my air fryer. Fun fact, I stick to the portion size. I generally make them with homemade chicken tenders (panko bread crumbs are the best for this). Side note: if you don’t have an air fryer I suggest you invest in one!
- If ma orders pizza, I’ll have a slice or two. If I am at a party, I’ll enjoy the food. Also, if there are s’mores at the fire, you know I’m going to have one. Enjoying doesn’t mean overeating. You could eat the healthiest ever & still not lose weight because you aren’t in a caloric deficit. You also can’t live your life afraid of food.
Food, especially carbs, is always going to be around. We gather with people we love around carbs, literally. & having a healthy relationship with said carbs is the best way to enjoy your life while having control over your health! I am by no means perfect, I am not the shredded personal trainer that you see in the gym, but I do pride myself on my healthy relationship with food. I fuel my body to function for me & I’ll have a slice of pizza if the family wants to have a pizza night.