Basic Nutrition for Weight Lifting
What do I need to gain muscle!?
- Well you need to train and you need to eat properly or else your training can really lack.
- Calorie Surplus- If muscle gain/weight gain is the goal then more calories is what you need, but don’t go crazy. If you increase 500 calories a day then you will gain a pound in a week. Vice versa if weight loss is the goal.
What’s the deal with Protein?
- Protein is the most important macronutrient in regard to body composition.
- They are the building blocks our body uses to make our muscles grow.
- But How much? There is much debate over how much we really need and a general guideline to follow is somewhere within the range of .6 to 1.0 gram/lb of body weight.
- In addition, try and spread these grams out throughout the day to get the best results. I would recommend 20-25 grams every 3-4 hours spread throughout the day. It is better to spread your protein intake out over time versus overeating/long periods of not eating.
Do carbs make you fat?
- A huge misconception in the fitness industry is that carbohydrates are so evil and bad for you. People think they make you fat.. they could.. but so could protein and so does fat. Just focus on eating your carbs from the right sources and focus on getting them in because they are important for sports and weight lifting.
- In reality, we need carbs, when we do anything our main form of energy comes from carbs, If you cut them training will decrease dramatically.
- Some guidelines for carbohydrate consumption can range from around .5 to 1.5 gram/lb of body weight.
Do I really need supplements?
- For the most part no, by this I mean most supplements either suck or are ineffective/overpriced/not regulated.
- You should be getting most consumption by food/liquid and spread your meals out if you want to see real gains.
- Supplements can help enhance a good diet if taken properly but they should never replace it. Don’t forget Supplements make up less than 10 percent of your dietary success.
- No supplement in the world will help you if you do not work out frequently, rest, and fuel properly.
- If you want more advice on supplements just reach out to us!
Online Training -TLAATHLETICS