“Drink all the water, pee all the time!” is one of my favorite things to say to my clients when they complain about the water goal I give them. Some clients can’t handle how sympathetic I am when it comes to their water intake. But honestly, if I am going to stress one thing, it’s your level of hydration.
You probably learned in grade school that your body is made up of ~60% water. But let’s break it down by body part! The brain and heart are composed of ~73% water, the lungs: ~83% water, the skin: ~64% water, the muscles & kidneys: ~79% water, and the bones even have water at ~31% (HH Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158)!
So what does water do for you?
- Regulates body temperature
- Moistens tissues such as mouth, eyes, nose
- Lubricates joints
- Protects body organs and tissues; acts as a shock absorber for brain & spinal cord
- Helps with digestion; prevent constipation
- Helps keep the kidneys and liver healthy by flushing out waste products
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells
So how much water do I need?
My go-to formula for water goals for my clients is “half your body weight in ounces.” Sometimes I simplify the goal to a gallon per day.
What are the signs I’m not drinking enough water?
- Am I hungry? It’s pretty tough to decipher between actual hunger & thirst. The next time you have a “snack attack” or you feel your energy crashing, try to drink 8oz of water first!
- Am I tired/cranky? Studies have shown that mild dehydration can cause moodiness & fatigue!
- Do I have a headache? Dehydration can cause headaches! Before you grab the coffee, try a glass of water!
- How’s my skin? How dry are my lips? Skin cells that aren’t hydrated tend to look rough and dry. You’re likely to experience more breakouts when you aren’t drinking enough water!
- How concentrated is my urine? A healthy adult should empty their bladder ~6 times per day! So when I say “drink all the water, pee all the time,” I wasn’t joking! Also, keep an eye on how concentrated your urine is. The more concentrated, the more water you need to be drinking!
Tricks for getting in your water!
- If you’re just bored of water, add some flavor to the mix! It doesn’t have to be just lemons. Add watermelon, strawberries, cucumbers, mint, etc! You have fun with it!
- Have a glass of water right when you wake up, before your delicious cup of coffee!
- If you work in an office, maybe behind a computer all day, you might lose track of time. Set a timer to have a glass of water!
- If your job has you up and about all day like mine, I find carrying my water bottle around with me is easiest!
- Drink a glass of water before you eat a meal (while you’re cooking or waiting for the microwave)!
I hope you have the motivation to drink your water now! I definitely have the motivation to practice what I preach! If you have any questions, please send me a message!