In a world inundated with promises of a magic pill that will somehow give you the body of your dreams overnight, it’s hard to know what to listen to and what actually works.
The internet has simultaneously been a blessing and a curse to society. Misinformation abounds, yet we can communicate with our loved ones thousands of miles away via video chat from the palm of our hand!
It’s hard to find an industry that has suffered more in terms of false hope and promises, than Health & Fitness. A quick course in Photoshop and you can turn yourself into a Greek god and become an instant Instagram guru!
Never fear! There will always be those of us that write, teach, and train from sound science that has stood the test of time. Below you will find 4 quick and easy tips to jump-start your weight loss journey today!
Eat smaller portions, more frequently.
- The key to keeping your metabolism fired up is to eat 5 or 6 smaller balanced meals evenly spaced throughout the day.
- The meals should be balanced with healthy carbohydrates, fats, and protein. The ratio is usually 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat.
Drink more water.
- When the body senses that it has plenty of water available for bodily functions, it will shed any excess stored water weight.
- A bonus tip concerning water is to drink a glass of ice water to instantly boost the metabolism. Your body won’t digest cold water. It has to raise the temperature of the water to body temp in order to process it. This thermogenic process utilizes energy (calories) in order to take place.
Get a solid night of sleep.
- Proper hormone levels are an extremely important factor when it comes to energy, fat metabolism, and muscular strength and endurance.
- Getting a good night’s sleep not only helps to maintain proper hormonal balance but during deep sleep, growth hormone is produced. This hormone has been attributed to muscle tissue gain, excess lipid metabolism, increased bone density, and increased insulin sensitivity.
Do at least 15 minutes of intense exercise per day.
- Intense exercise also stimulates hormones that cause the body to synthesize new muscle tissue, break down stored body fat, and increase muscular and cardiovascular endurance.
- Try performing various exercises in a circuit fashion with a 30-second work to rest ratio.
- Example: jumping jacks for 30 seconds, rest, then push-ups for 30 seconds, rest, and so on.