Paella is a perfect dish because you can tailor it to everyone’s taste buds – but everybody still eats from the same big platter.
This recipe was a life saver while I was in college and still continue to love it! WHY?! By adding chorizo, different varieties of seafood, vegetables like chopped carrot, zucchini or fennel, edamame or even beef, literally different every time!
Scoop and Go! A Quick and Easy Paella Recipe
Hands-on time: 20 minutes give or take
Total time: 20 minutes give or take
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin and paprika
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2½ cups chicken, vegetable or fish broth
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb peeled and deveined medium to large shrimp (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large skillet or paella pan on medium-high, heat oil. Add chicken, onion, bell peppers, garlic, cumin and paprika and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa, broth, lemon zest and juice, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer on medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa becomes a little tender (but not soggy), about 7 to 8 minutes. Add a little more stock, if required, to maintain a moist consistency.
- Add shrimp and peas and cover until shrimp is cooked and quinoa is al dente, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper.