This nachos recipe was inspired by my love for all things crunchy and these nachos were exactly that. I wanted to create a recipe that would allow me to indulge just as much as eating responsible so I decided to use some simple, wholesome ingredients to achieve just that.
Lean ground turkey is a great protein to keep in stock in your fridge and freezer as it is super nutrient-dense, and lower in saturated fat than ground beef. Opting for no-sodium diced tomatoes also helped me keep this indulgent meal reasonable in nature. I also love Mrs. Dash with no sodium seasonings which adds tons of flavor into my meals.
Instead of going with traditional corn tortilla chips, I opted for sweet potato tortilla chips. At only 140 calories per 1 oz serving they are crisp and bold in flavor, with a sweet and subtly salty taste to satisfy the taste buds. They are from Simple Truth Organic in case you are looking for them at the supermarket. Some ingredients that are optional are pico de gallo, black beans, and diced green onions. Don’t blink, this nutritious meal can be made in under 20 minutes time. Let’s cook!
- 1 lb. of lean ground turkey (93/7)
- 12 oz bag of Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, no sodium added version, drained
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 cup of canned black beans, no sodium added version, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup of market-fresh pico de gallo
- Black pepper for taste
- Mrs. Dash Taco Seasoning, no sodium added
- Begin by warming your skillet to a medium-high and add your lean ground turkey. Continue to cook until fully browned.
- Remove from heat and drain any excess juices from the pan.
- Return skillet to the stovetop and add your taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, black beans (optional), and 1-1 1/2 cups of water, bringing heat up to a simmer
- Allow cooking covered for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally
- Once the sauce has thickened remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place tortilla chips evenly on a baking sheet
- Cook in an oven for 5-10 minutes or until the edges or slightly browned. Keep your eye on these chips while cooking to prevent them from burning.
- Remove from oven and 1 oz (7-10 chips) to a dinner plate
- Dividing your skillet protein into 4 servings, add one serving of ground turkey on top of your warm chips.
- Top with pico de gallo and chopped green onions if desired
Nutrition Facts (without black beans)
Total Calories: 306 calories
Protein: 20 grams
Carbs: 24 grams
Fats: 13 grams
Nutrition Facts (with black beans)
Total Calories: 424 calories
Protein: 27 grams
Carbs: 44 grams
Fats: 13 grams